Learn more about how you can help your baby get a better night's sleep when they are away from home.
Spring has finally sprung, and with the warmer weather comes vacation season. Whether you are a seasoned traveler or not, the idea of traveling with a baby can be daunting – especially if you were hoping for a restful vacation – so preparing is key.
As a parent, you know that sleep is a crucial part of any baby’s day, and it’s particularly important when away from home. But how do you ensure that your baby continues to sleep safe and sound without lugging their entire bedroom around?
There are two key elements to consider. One is the time change and another is their sleep environment.
The Time Change
If your trip is in a different time zone, you can get ahead of the curve by planning in advance.
- About 7 to 9 days before your trip, start shifting your baby’s nap and bedtime ahead or back a little each day to align with the time zone you will be visiting.
- Then when you arrive at your destination adopt the clock right away and try to keep to their normal nap and sleep schedule. If they took a 9 AM nap at home, put them down at 9 AM there too.
The Sleep Environment
The second key factor is baby's new sleep environment. Try to replicate the soothing and safe environment they have at home as best as you can.
- Adjust the lighting in the room to match their usual sleep setting. If they nap in the daylight, open the curtains and let the light shine in. If they sleep with a nightlight, bring the one they use at home.
- If your little one normally sleeps with a sound machine or music, make sure you bring their favorite sounds with you.
- Most importantly, make sure the hotel provided sleep surface is safe, clean and comfortable. To do this, you can cover the hotel crib mattress with a breathable crib mattress pad.
The Newton Crib Mattress Pad by Newton Baby fits over any standard crib mattress and will give your baby a clean, safe, and breathable sleep surface.
In the event your baby rolls over, the top panel is made with Breathe-Thru Technology, allowing baby to breathe right through it. Plus, if there is a mess, the pad is waterproof and washable. You can easily pack the pad in your suitcase or carry-on and off you go.
So, whether you bring your little one with you on vacation or send them to be spoiled by Grandma and Grandpa, you shouldn’t have to worry about how they will sleep when they’re away from the comforts of home. This travel season, you can all fly high knowing that you don’t have to worry about sleep.
And just for our Ready. Set. Food! families, please visit this link to receive 20% off a Newton Crib Mattress Pad. Click HERE to receive the discount (expires 7/31/19).
To learn more about Newton Baby, and to take advantage of this exclusive offer for Ready. Set. Food! families, visit newtonbaby.com.
New Study Shows That Infant Anaphylaxis Usually Resolves With One Epinephrine Dose
A recent study has shown that, when infants experience severe aller...
8 Types Of Picky Eaters (And How To Get Them To Eat)
Not all picky eaters are the same – there are actually several diff...
Pregnancy Nutrition: What To Eat In The First Trimester
What to eat in the first trimester that will nourish your body, pro...
Formula Feeding Amounts: How Much Formula Should You Feed Baby Per Day?
How much formula should baby drink per day? It depends on their age...